SMART Reading is a cost-effective model, focused on kids and powered by volunteers. With one-on-one reading practice and free books to keep, we directly help each young reader and deliver long-term benefits statewide by building literacy in each community.
Reading motivation and enjoyment are critical components of literacy development. By the end of the year, 9 in 10 SMART Reading students grow in their enjoyment of reading.
In Their Words…
When Randall was a second-grader in Springfield, Ore., the classroom wasn’t a friendly place to be. His classmates teased and bullied him for being gay, and he looked for any opportunity to escape. Chosen to participate in SMART Reading, Randall relished the chance to leave his classroom and dive into the world of books.
Some 20 years later, he vividly recalls his SMART Reading volunteer coming to the classroom, wearing the same outfit each week: glasses with transition lenses that would still be adjusting from the sunlight outside, a white polo shirt, and light-wash jeans. There his volunteer would stand in the doorway each week, Randall’s respite from the classroom…
I Love SMART Reading Because…
Hear from teachers, volunteers and students on what they love about SMART Reading — and the power and impact of our work. Click here to watch the video.
To Learn More:
- Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, SMART Reading has worked hard to continue providing the two keys to literacy success: access to books and reading support. To read more about how we’ve adapted our programs to continue delivering on our mission, click here.
- We hold periodic webinars to update our community on our work. Click here to view our latest Town Hall webinar.
- To read about area-level impact, click the link for your community’s year-end report:
- Central Area 2019-20 year-end report
- Douglas Area 2019-20 year-end report
- Metro Area 2019-20 year-end report
- North Coast Area 2019-20 year-end report
- Northeast Area 2019-20 year-end report
- Northwest Area 2019-20 year-end report
- Rogue Valley Area 2019-20 year-end report
- South Central Area 2019-20 year-end report
- South Coast Area 2019-20 year-end report
- South Valley Area 2019-20 year-end report