Making Reading Fun!
How can you help?
Fun is at the very center of SMART Reading’s approach to literacy. Research shows that actively engaging the child in the reading experience will help them to become strong readers! Here are a few strategies to consider as you think about how you’ll help children develop a love of reading.
- Act out parts of the story; children love to pretend.
- Allow a wiggly child to move about while you read aloud.
- Stop in the middle of a book if a child seems uninterested; invite the child to choose a different book.
- Use plenty of expression and enthusiasm as you read aloud.
- Ask questions along the way, such as “What do you think will happen next?” or “Have you ever seen something like this?”