In addition to ensuring SMART Reading sites all contain a wide variety of books, we use the following set of guidelines to inform our selection process:
Every SMART Reading book:
- Is new or in new condition.
- Is appropriate for participating students’ listening and reading levels.
- Is appealing to students and draws them into the illustrations, story, and meaning.
SMART Reading books do not contain:
- Excessive violence.
- Racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise biased content, using as a guide “Ten Quick Ways to Analyze Children’s Books for Sexism and Racism” by Louise Derman-Sparks.
- Themes that wouldn’t be appropriate for non-familial adults to read with children in a school setting.
- Religious or holiday themes (including secular holidays).