The SMART Book Challenge is here!
Last year we raised over $117,000 through the SMART Book Challenge, making it possible for us to provide more than 41,000 new books for students statewide this year. With students currently out of school, we know our work will be even more urgently needed next year.
In the Book Challenge competition, our sites are divided into groups and there are prizes for the sites that have the highest participation. We calculate the participation rate using the number of donations received designated to a site divided by the number of volunteers at the site. The site with the highest participation rate in each grouping will win an extra book giveaway day for their students!
And for the second year, we are opening the book challenge to any donors, not just volunteers! This means volunteers can invite friends, colleagues and neighbors to support their SMART Reading site, and those gifts will count toward a site’s participation rate (meaning that a site could achieve over 100% participation).
Below are some ideas and tools to help spread the word about the SMART Book Challenge and secure that extra giveaway day for your site:
- Send the message below to your friends, colleagues and networks.
- Post about the SMART Book Challenge on your social media channels. You can find sample social media posts below.
- Have a special occasion or celebration coming up? Ask your guests to make a donation to SMART Reading in your honor in lieu of gifts.
Thank you for your help!
I’m writing on behalf of an organization I care about: SMART Reading. For 28 years, SMART Reading has been fulfilling an important mission: To spark joy and opportunity through the magic of a shared book. SMART Reading provides 11,000 kids across Oregon with weekly one-on-one reading sessions with volunteers like me, and 14 new books each year for kids to keep and add to their personal libraries. I give my time and energy because I believe in SMART Reading’s work to build the next generation of readers. While SMART Reading programs are currently on hiatus due to the coronavirus, our work to help kids become strong, confident readers will be even more urgently needed in the coming months and years.
Will you join me in supporting SMART Reading by making a gift to support the SMART Book Challenge? Funds go directly to providing new books for kids in our community to keep as their very own. You can give to SMART Reading by going to http://bit.ly/SMARTBookChallenge. Don’t forget to note that your gift should be credited to ______________________ (site name).
- $40 provides the books for one SMART Reading student for one year.
- $80 provides books for two SMART Reading students for one year.
- $325 provides all of the resources needed to put one student through SMART Reading for one year.
The site that achieves the highest participation rate will win an extra book given to the students in SMART Reading at that site and I would love for my site to win those extra books.
Thanks for your support!
TEMPLATE SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS
- A nonprofit I support, @SMARTReadingOR, has launched its annual SMART Book Challenge, which raises funds to provide new books for kids in communities across Oregon. Every year, 11,000 kids in SMART Reading receive 14 new books to keep and build their personal libraries, and we know this work is needed even more urgently now. Please consider joining me in supporting the Book Challenge Click http://bit.ly/SMARTBookChallenge to give and designate your gift to my site: _______________. Thanks for your help!
- @SMARTReadingOR helps thousands of local kids in our community and across the state become strong, confident readers by providing one-on-one support and books to keep. Will you join me in supporting them through the SMART Book Challenge? Click http://bit.ly/SMARTBookChallenge to give and designate your gift to my site: _________________. I’d appreciate it!