Finding the perfect holiday gift can be difficult, but this year we’re featuring 6 creative ideas from YOU, our amazing community of volunteers and supporters, about how you can join with us to share the gift of reading far and wide.
1. Invite Your Book Club to Pass On the Joy of Reading
“Book clubs, much like SMART Reading, are a powerful citizen network of people who understand the power and joy of reading. Last year I suggested to my own book club that we make our holiday social an impromptu fundraiser to support SMART Reading kids. Everyone jumped at the chance, and knowing that we were helping pass on our love of reading to kids added special meaning to our celebration.” – Jason Halstead
If you’re part of a book club, invite your members to spread the joy of books to young readers by making a gift to SMART Reading as part of your holiday celebration. You can choose to make donations online or by check, and if you add the name of your book club in the comments, we’d love to be able to acknowledge your collective contribution.
2. Facebook Fundraiser Challenge
“I believe there is no greater gift than the ability to read and the joy of immersing oneself in a good story. As a SMART Reading volunteer, I see firsthand the difference this organization makes for kids and I’m always looking for ways to get more people involved. Hosting a Facebook fundraiser was an easy way to invite my community to join me in making sure kids have the support they need to become confident readers. It only took a minute to set up, and my friends and family were happy to contribute to a cause they know means so much to me.” – Alisa Grandy
We’re looking for 10 people from our community to host Facebook fundraisers this holiday season. It’s a meaningful way to invite your friends to take part in the season of giving, and it’s fast and easy to set up. Click here to get started: https://www.facebook.com/fund/SMARTReadingOR/
3. Give the Gift of Books
“I wanted to let my grandma know I was reminiscing about when she used to read to me so I decided to give the gift of 14 new books for a child in her honor.” – Ryan Benson
Looking for a special gift for a person on your list? Consider making a gift of books in their name. $40 provides 14 new books for a child in SMART Reading, and we’ll provide you with an electronic or physical card you can personalize to let them know that they’re supporting young readers in Oregon. Click here to make a gift of books in someone’s name.
Note: If you would like to receive a physical card to provide to your gift recipient, please make your gift by December 15, 2019.
4. Shop SMART (Reading) This Holiday Season
- Are you a Fred Meyer shopper? Make SMART Reading your charity of choice by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to SMART Reading at fredmeyer.com/communityrewards. Click on “Re-enroll” or “Link Your Rewards Card Now” (you may need to create an account). You can then search for us by our nonprofit number: UW793. Then, every time you shop and use your Rewards Card, you are helping us earn a gift!
- Do your online shopping through smile.amazon.com and select SMART Reading as your charity of choice. Then 0.5% of the price you pay for items on Amazon will be a gift to SMART Reading. It’s as simple as that!
5. Join the SMART Book Club
The perfect gift to yourself or the book lover in your life, the SMART Book Club is our group of sustaining members whose recurring contributions ensure that 11,000 kids will benefit from SMART Reading this year. As a Book Club member, you’ll receive monthly book recommendations from our library, special invitations, and a chance to hear from kids, volunteers, and staff about the impact of your gift. A monthly contribution of $27 covers the cost of one student in SMART Reading for the whole year. Click here to join the SMART Book Club.
6. Support SMART Reading in the Willamette Week Give!Guide
We’re part of this year’s Willamette Week Give!Guide, an annual campaign raising funds for Portland area nonprofits. Last year, this campaign raised over $42,000 for SMART Reading, and it includes lots of fun incentives!
Here are a few easy ways to spread the word about SMART Reading and other nonprofits doing important work in our community:
- Send the email message here on our website to your network.
- Post about the Give!Guide on your social media channels. Click here for sample posts.
- Hosting a holiday party? Ask your guests to make a gift to SMART Reading in lieu of gifts.
Gifts to SMART Reading in the Give!Guide will be matched, up to $10,000, by an anonymous donor. Plus, the first 200 donors of $75+ will receive a $20 gift certificate to Jam on Hawthorne. Click here to make a gift in the Give!Guide.