Part Time Bilingual Program Administrator – Salem/Remote
Do you want to work for an organization that makes a difference in the lives of children? Can you welcome and support volunteers to be part of a phenomenal statewide effort? Can you speak Spanish and communicate with monolingual Spanish speakers?
SMART Reading seeks someone to support our Northwest Area team (Marion, Polk, Yamhill, Lincoln & Tillamook counties).
The ideal candidate will have volunteer management and recruitment experience, and strong administrative skills. This position is responsible for performing general office duties, maintaining up-to-date volunteer records, and contacting all new volunteer applicants to orient them to the program and their volunteer assignments.
This is a new part-time, 20 hours per week position. This is a hybrid position. The candidate has the option of working remotely but must be available to travel to events and work a few hours a week from the Salem SMART Reading office.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Experience working with volunteers
- Strong computer skills and can easily learn new programs
- Great customer service skills
- Flexible and ability to balance multiple priorities
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to speak to Spanish speakers
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships with school, business, and community members
- Must be able to work independently, and still function as a collaborative team member.
- Strong computer skills, Windows-based computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, databases, e-mail, and presentation software.
- Ability to learn and use Raiser’s Edge database.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Commitment to racial equity and ongoing learning.
- A team player who can handle multiple projects, duties, and deadlines.
- A sense of service and commitment to helping the children of Oregon learn to read.
- Experience/background in working with historically marginalized communities.
- Experience in recruitment, supervision, and evaluation of volunteers.
$21,000 annually with no benefits but does include paid holidays and generous time off.
Please apply via HiringThing. Applicants are asked to explain all of the following in your cover letter:
- What you are offering
- Your availability to work on site
- Your experience supporting a team, customer service, and making phone calls
This position will remain open until filled but to be considered for the first round of interviews, please apply by December 31, 2023 (please note the deadline to apply was extended).
About SMART Reading
At SMART Reading, we believe reading is the gateway to learning and opportunity for Oregon’s kids. For 32 years, we’ve been mobilizing our statewide community to make a direct impact by connecting kids, books, and volunteers who understand that education creates a brighter future for all. Our model provides two essential ingredients for early literacy and learning success: shared reading time and access to books. Without those supports, it’s almost impossible to become an excited, confident reader, or be prepared for learning and success. By helping thousands of children build confidence, literacy skills, and a love of reading—right in our own neighborhoods—we can reduce the negative ripple effects of illiteracy and help children realize their full potential.
SMART’s Commitment to Equity
As an early literacy program focused on helping children succeed with reading and learning, SMART can’t ignore that deep racial, cultural, social, and economic inequities in our country and state make it harder for some children to succeed compared to others. SMART’s vision is an Oregon in which every child can read and is empowered to succeed, and we are making equity a top priority. As part of this, we particularly seek staff members, volunteers, and board members whose personal or professional background gives them a unique perspective to further SMART’s work in serving children of color and children from other marginalized groups.