Area Director – Northwest Area
Salem, OR and remote
SMART Reading is Oregon’s largest volunteer-based nonprofit literacy organization focused on the state’s youngest children. This year, we are celebrating our 30th year of operation, as we continue to expand and innovate in new ways to help kids learn to read. Our basic delivery model is reading engagement and books for kids to keep.
We are looking for a passionate, energetic and creative professional to run our operation in the Northwest as Area Director, across Tillamook, Yamhill, Lincoln, Polk and Marion counties. This position will focus on fundraising, community relations, program oversight, supervision of program staff, and overall leadership of SMART’s activities. This is an excellent professional growth opportunity for the right candidate.
Our ideal candidate will know or be willing to dive into the local community, enjoy meeting people, be well organized, have the energy and drive to meet fundraising goals, and be someone who can represent SMART to educators, volunteer coordinators, the local business community and others with confidence and commitment. We encourage individuals with lived experience of the “opportunity gap” in the region to apply–your background and experience count towards being the right fit for this position.
The Area Director will be based out of our Salem office. SMART Reading is committed to supporting our staff with remote work and flexible work options.
Who you are:
- Two years or more experience in fundraising, program, and volunteer management
- Well-organized and adaptable to changing conditions
- Self-starter and able to prioritize and multi-task across a range of activities
- The experience to lead a team in implementation of a range of activities; highly collaborative with colleagues at the local, regional and state level
- Ability to work with school, business and community leaders and represent SMART in public settings, including public speaking
- Personal character and integrity, which guides the ethical practice of your work
- A sense of service and commitment to helping the children of Oregon love reading
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion work
If that’s you, here is what we can offer:
- A salary in the upper $50Ks and a generous benefits package worth $24K.
- Support for remote work, flexible schedules (early or late start) or a compressed work week, while covering “core” hours as necessary.
- A team of equally-committed, passionate and experienced individuals.
- Maximum time out in the community–this is not a desk job.
- An engaged and motivated local Advisory Committee who support the work of SMART and a committed network of volunteers
- Plenty of opportunity to put your creativity and ideas to good use. We have a well-established system but new ideas, and ideas that are appropriate for the community, are encouraged.
- Professional Development opportunities both internal and external to SMART. This is a great leadership development opportunity.
- An organizational culture that values team, plays to the strengths of its members, works to advance equity and inclusion, is tirelessly devoted to serving “our kids” well.
What you will do:
- Lead all aspects of the SMART Reading program visibility, fundraising and implementation in Tillamook, Yamhill, Lincoln, Polk and Marion counties.
- Raise funds through corporate solicitations, individual fundraising, grant writing and events. Works in conjunction with the central development team on delivery of the annual development plan.
- Supervise and mentor the 2 Program Managers responsible for implementation of the SMART program at approximately 41 SMART program sites in the area.
- Build and nurture relationships with school district leadership in conjunction with the Program Managers to achieve SMART program standards.
- Engage with volunteer Site Coordinators and other volunteers, who are central to our approach.
- Build the public visibility and credibility of SMART in the region
SMART’s Commitment to Equity:
As an early literacy program focused on helping children succeed with reading and learning, SMART Reading can’t ignore that deep racial, cultural, social, and economic inequities in our country and state make it harder for some children to succeed compared to others. SMART Reading’s vision is an Oregon where all children can realize their full potential through reading, and we make equity a top priority as we deliver on that vision. As part of this, we particularly seek staff members, volunteers, and board members whose personal or professional background gives them a unique perspective to further SMART Reading’s work in serving children of color and children from other marginalized groups.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to travel throughout Oregon, particularly throughout the two counties served by this SMART area office. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently use a computer at a desk and is occasionally required to stand, walk, and/or sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for the position.
To apply for this position please visit the following link:
To read the complete job description please click here: https://smartreading.org/assets/Northwest-Area-Director-Job-Description-2021-1.pdf
Please provide a resume with a brief cover letter that tells us how you meet our needs, what your experience and commitment is to equity and whether you have bonus skills outlined above.
People of color, people living with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.