Bilingual Program Manager – Metro East
SMART Reading is seeking a full-time Bilingual Program Manager for our programs and operations in the Portland Metro Area’s east side. SMART Reading is the state’s largest volunteer-based nonprofit literacy organization. SMART Reading partners with schools around the state and engages community volunteers to read one-on-one with nearly 11,000 PreK through 3rd grade children annually, helping strengthen literacy skills and encourage a love of reading. Participating children also receive new books each month to keep in order to begin building their own personal library.
When you join SMART Reading, you join a team that shares your commitment to making this important work happen. Your position as a Program Manager for the Metro area will focus on leading a caseload of SMART Reading program sites, recruiting, training and managing volunteers, creating strong partnerships with schools and ensuring SMART Reading Program Standards are met. The Program Manager will be based out of our Portland office, and will work with the Portland Metro Area team.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for supporting children’s literacy, a strong commitment to equity, and stellar relationships skills to support volunteer management and school relations.
If that’s you, here’s what we can offer:
- A team of equally-committed, passionate and experienced individuals.
- Plenty of opportunity to put your creativity and ideas to good use (We’ve got great systems but we’re always interested in improvement.)
- A salary in the range of $37K – $40K, and a generous benefits package.
- Professional development opportunities, both internal and external to SMART Reading.
- An organizational culture that values team, plays to the strengths of its members, and is tirelessly devoted to serving “our kids” well.
Your team members have developed the following “must have” requirements:
- Personal character, which guides the ethical practice of your work.
- Experience working in partnership with communities of color
- Bilingual Preferred
- Ability to develop, manage and lead a work team
- Ability to work with school, business and community leaders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to represent the program and implement quality improvement procedures
- Ability to handle multiple projects and duties
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to a learning, growing organization
- Ability and means to travel to local sites as needed, proof of liability and property damage insurance on vehicle used is required
- A sense of service and commitment to helping the children of Oregon fall in love with reading
- Proficient computer skills to include Google, Microsoft office products and database experience
Bonus skills (preferred but not required):
- Bachelor’s degree or 4 years of relevant experience
- Experience in recruiting, supervision, development and evaluation of volunteers
- Experience in community partnership building
As an early literacy program focused on helping children succeed with reading and learning, SMART Reading can’t ignore that deep racial, cultural, social and economic inequities in our country and state make it harder for some children to succeed compared to others. Our vision is an Oregon in which every child can read and is empowered to succeed, and we are making equity a top priority. As part of this, we particularly seek staff members, volunteers, and board members whose personal or professional background gives them a unique perspective to further SMART Reading’s work in serving children of color and children from other marginalized groups.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to travel throughout Oregon, particularly throughout the three counties served by this SMART Reading area office. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently use a computer at a desk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for the position.
To read the full position description, click here: https://smartreading.org/assets/Metro-East-Bilingual-Program-Manager-Job-Description.pdf
Please provide a resume with a brief cover letter that tells us how you meet our needs, what your experience and commitment is to equity and whether you have bonus skills outlined above.
Please apply at the following link: https://smart.hiringthing.com/job/289310/bilingual-program-manager-metro-east
People of color, people living with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled but will begin the first review of all applications received on July 30, 2021. We will begin phone interviews after this time. Selected applicants will be invited to move forward to in-person (or video) interviews. At this point in our process we will ask for professional references and make an offer shortly thereafter. We would like to have the selected candidate start in August.