The Volunteer Reader’s Role
Our volunteers often tell us that they get more from their experience than they give. Still, volunteering is an important commitment. In support of SMART Reading’s mission, volunteers are required to:
- Show up consistently, once per week for the whole school year. This is essential, because kids will miss out on SMART Reading in your absence.
- Have fun! Rather than teaching or tutoring, your role as a Volunteer Reader is to provide a special time in a child’s day for them to simply have fun with books and reading.
- Help children pick out books to read with you and to take home to keep.
- Log the day’s session using a simple required form.
- Create a safe and positive experience for children of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and circumstances.
- Maintain open and regular communication with the Site Coordinator, reporting any concerns immediately.
- Adhere to safety and other policies and procedures for SMART Reading and for your site placement.
If you can commit to sharing one hour of your week, and you’re willing to follow these simple policies, we’d love for you to join us!