Making Reading Safe!
The safety of SMART Reading kids and volunteers is always our highest priority.
As a volunteer with SMART Reading, you are required to adhere to the following safety policies:
- Do not take children outside or away from school.
- Always be in view of other adults. For the safety of yourself as well as the child, never be in a situation where you are alone with a child. In a virtual reading session, two volunteers are assigned to read with each student to ensure no child is ever alone with a volunteer.
- If a child shares personal information that is concerning, immediately report it to the Volunteer Site Coordinator. They will notify appropriate school personnel who will be responsible for any additional action. This information should remain confidential.
- SMART Reading prohibits discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, class, national origin, age, immigration status, and family structure, as well as any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. To report discrimination, contact SMART Reading’s Main Office.
- Be sure to let your Volunteer Site Coordinator know if you have questions or concerns, and they’ll address the situation appropriately.